Saturday, July 24, 2010

Jumping

Yep, Daniel jumped - both feet off the ground. Look out world.

Other recent highlights in the Life of Daniel:

  • says: ball, dog, & door while pointing at aforementioned objects (without prompting)
  • knows that a sheep says "baa baa" and will share that important information when asked
  • is NOT afraid of very large cats (aka: tigers)
  • has two new bottom teeth erupting
  • can swim 5-7 feet underwater and still come up smiling
  • does a beautiful backfloat (while wearing arm floaties)
  • jumps off the diving board
I'm sure there's more, but perhaps I'm going a bit overboard with the achievements. But, I figure, I missed out on the first half of his life accomplishements, so I can share my joy in watching his growth and development for a while.

In not so great news, I'm finding myself rather frustrated at a lot of things, and rather worried about how they will turn out. School starts in a week & a half and I'm greatly concerned about Daniel's transition into this. He has extreme separation anxiety at the moment, and is terrified of me leaving him. Yes, I know its kind of normal for this age, but the whole issue is greatly compounded by the fact that I haven't had a whole lot of time to build trust and that he's been "returned" or "rejected" a number of times in his life. And that's hard. How can he know that I'll come back and truly get it? Its not the pattern he's known. Oh, and no one seems to understand the added adoption/fostering attachment issue. That doesn't help.

Secondly, I still don't have a housemate. That's bad news. No one to share the rent or the bills. And the rent was raised when I re-signed the lease, so I'm paying 140% MORE rent now than I was two months ago. Plus, you know, the expenses of a small child. Sigh. Please pray for a housemate or two.

Finally, my other big stressor is the fact that I still know nothing about the adoption process or what I need to be doing. I did find out that DS*WD (government child welfare agency) is fussed that agencies are using the foster-to-adopt program. Apparently they think agencies are using it to make adoption easier. Um, hello? Why is this a problem? It was made completely legal last year.

I don't get it.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, I had some of that insecurity with one of mine little ones just a few months ago... he was beside himself when I left him at preschool... the only thing I could do was to reassure him everyday that I was coming back to pick him up and also to be strong enough to walk out the door and trust the staff at the preschool to take care of him... that and heaps of prayers! My big piece of advise as a former childcare professional and as a foster Mum just like you.... NEVER try to leave him some where are just sneak out... ALWAYS tell him you are leaving... once you say goodbye, hand him over to the person who will be caring for him and leave... don't make it a long drawn out process... the only way he can really understand that you are coming back is for this to happen.. he can understand the concept... so leaving him and coming back will become easier.... remember that we are raising exceptional children with a whole lot of issues that make things harder BUT every child goes through some anxiety about being left by their parents.... I'll be praying for you and Daniel.. I know you can BOTH do this and get through it xxoo

    ReplyDelete