Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Sunday

I love my church, I really do. But Easter here really doesn't compare to the Easter Sunday services I grew up with in my teen years at the North Side Gospel Center. I've learned that if I want to celebrate the resurrection here on Easter that I have to get up for the sunrise service, but even still, I'm disappointed every year.

Where are the great resurrection hymns? Not at today's service, I'll tell you that. All last night in my head I was singing, "Up from the grave He arose! With a mighty triumph o'er his foes...", and "He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks with me...".  You know, the good ones! We did sing the "Easter Song", very Keith Green style, which made me happy and all reminiscing-like.

I think what I miss most is the great Easter fellowship we used to have. While I never had Easter "plans", like lunch or dinner with the family (since I didn't grow up in a Christian family), Easter breakfast was always a huge deal for me. In highschool, we used to cook the breakfast, and when I got older, I enjoyed the breakfast made by the new highschool students. Everyone from church would gather in the gym for pancakes, muffins, juice, and whatever else was on the table that year. The little kids would be running around in their cute little dresses & ties, while the parents and everyone else relaxed at the tables, lingering over coffee. Finally, around 10:40, we'd all pitch in for the final clean-up and head over to the sanctuary for a great Easter service.

While my church here does an Easter breakfast, I've not had great success with it over the years. And when I finally had it, I found the food selection quite dismal in comparison to what I'd pictured in my mind. Finally, last year, I made the decision to go to The Pancake House after the sunrise service, which was quite tasty. However, it lacked the fellowship aspect of the church family, which is exactly what happened again this year. And again, I was disappointed.

Now I know that the big reason for celebrating this day is to rejoice in the resurrection, so I probably shouldn't be bemoaning breakfast. And please know that I know that my life is what it is today ONLY because of what Christ did for me on the cross and His resurrection. And for THAT, I am eternally grateful and trying to live my life in reflection of it.

But Easter just isn't the same over here on this side of the ocean for me.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I totally understand your feeling. I always felt the same way, each year that Easter came around-- not enough celebration/fellowhip elements available... I hope you still have a good week... ~ Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to find the "right" feel for Easter. Seems like churches are trying to please everyone and we know how that works...
    I was with my parents and we did sing "Up from the Grave..." & the Easter Song. They tend to not sing hymns much, but we sang a couple other oldie, but goodies. What I've learned over the years is that traditions are tricky - the expectation can ruin the present so I try to have as few expectations as possible - and enjoy the moment! Glad you had a good day anyway.

    ReplyDelete