Saturday, April 16, 2011

So I've been thinking...

...what if I didn't wait for epic adventures or world-changing events before I added another blog post? What if, instead, I do what other bloggers that I follow do: blog everyday about the everyday things, thoughts, adventures? So I decided I should give it a go, and while it would be nice to know someone out there is reading, I guess that even if no one does, its a good record of what's been happening in my life.

Fresh buko (young coconut) juice - yum!
Lately I've been reflecting on my dreams of what motherhood would look like and realizing that I'm pretty happy with the way things have turned out so far. A few of the things I envisioned were:
  • Having a child who likes to read & care about books - Daniel LOVES books, and has yet to tear a page purposely (although there was an accidental tear when he was over-exuberantly turning pages). 
  • Potty-training early - While I definitely didn't expect it to happen with a boy, here he is at nearly 2 1/2 with rare accidents and only using a diaper while sleeping. Awesome!
  • Being polite - Daniel knows when to say "please" and "thank you", usually without any prompting. He'll even prompt someone else to say thank you by saying "welcome" if he does something nice =). The funniest thing to me is that he even excuses himself when he burps (or other, em, bodily noises).
Of course, there are lots and lots of things I didn't quite plan on (like sleepless nights ALL THE TIME), but I think this mommying thing is pretty cool. Its so bizarre yet awesome to realize how much I'm shaping this little life - so much more so than the little ones in my classroom. And while there are always daily challenges, ranging from eating to sickness, to discipline, who knew I would like being a parent quite so much?

Lunch in the waterfall at Villa Escuedero

4 comments:

  1. Seriously? Daniel is one cool little dude. So glad I can "meet" him in this way. Keep up the great work, mama! He's clearly thriving! try this website for your little book monster: wegivebooks.org We just discovered it today, and my boys had so much fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a sweet family!! praying for you two! ~ Christa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Keep posting the everyday stuff! =)Us readers love it and you'll have all kinds of fun stories to look back on that you would've forgotten about otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading - that's why I love GoogleReader - it tells me when to read :) And definitely you'll be glad to have the reminders later when all of this is a little more "blurry"

    ReplyDelete